18-year-old charged in McDonald’s drive-thru shooting that killed 7-year-old girl; Police say more to come

Chicago police have charged an 18-year-old man with murder in the killing of 7-year-old Jaslyn Adams, who was shot to death while sitting in a car with her father Sunday night in a McDonald’s drive-thru.

Marion Lewis was arrested Thursday after a car chase, a crash on the Eisenhower Expressway, and an attempted carjacking, as CrimeOnline previously reported. Lewis reportedly shot at police and was hit by return fire in the arm.

Police Superintendent David Brown said Lewis was one of the people involved in the shooting, which also seriously injured Jaslyn’s father, 29-year-old Jontae Adams. Brown did not say what role investigators believe Lewis played in the shooting, nor did he reveal details of the case while suspects are still at large, the Chicago Tribune said.

“You can run, but you can’t hide. We are going to bring you to justice for this crime,” Brown said Saturday afternoon announcing the charges. “The Adams family deserves nothing less.”

Police said that Lewis was facing a raft of other felony charges, in addition to first-degree murder, including aggravated vehicular carjacking with a firearm, attempted first-degree murder, unlawful possession of a stolen vehicle, and aggravated assault of a police officer.Investigators previously said they believe the Homan Square shooting was gang-related and possibly connected to another shooting a few hours later at a Popeye’s restaurant in Humboldt Park. Two people were wounded in that shooting, the Chicago Sun-Times said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *