5-Week-Old Australian Baby Mauled To Death By Family Dog

A5-week-old baby in New South Wales, Australia, died over the weekend after he was mauled by his family’s pet dog, police said.

The fatal attack by the American Staffordshire terrier occurred at the family’s home in Kariong just after 2 a.m. Sunday while the parents were inside, Australian news outlet News.com.au reported, citing police.

Emergency responders, including police and paramedics, attempted to revive the child, but he died at the scene, the report said. A crime scene had been established, and police concluded there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident.

The attack was described as “a matter of tragic proportions” by Brisbane Water Police district commander detective superintendent Darryl Jobson.

According to Jobson, the dog had already been involved in another incident a month before the Sunday attack.

“A neighboring (sic) dog apparently got into the rear yard and was mauled by this dog,” Jobson was quoted as saying by News.com.au, adding that the separate incident will also form part of the investigation.

Emergency crews who attended the scene will receive counseling and support, Jobson said.

“Our police did perform first-aid upon arrival. They did their best in the circumstances and they are no doubt shaken by the incident,” the superintendent said.

“Anything to do with children of any type, particularly of this nature, is absolutely traumatic,” he explained.

The dog has been seized and will likely be euthanized, a report by TVNZ said. A report will be prepared for the coroner.

A similar incident occurred last month in Ireland when a 3-month-old baby was attacked and fatally injured by a dog at her home.

The girl had been in bed in a terraced house in Clashmore, County Waterford, at around 2 a.m. on June 7 when the dog attacked.

Emergency medical personnel treated the child’s injuries at the scene before she was taken to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead a short time later.

Police in the nearby town of Dungarvan said they would investigate the incident.