Violent thug beat up pregnant girlfriend while pinning her down by her neck

A violent thug accused his pregnant partner of cheating on him and threatened to “ruin” her face with a knife so no other man would have her.

Darren Green then woke her in the middle of the night, pinned her down by her throat and punched her in the face.

The terrified woman took her child to school the next day and reported what happened, leading to police finding Green hiding in her loft.

The shocking attack came after he had already been jailed for another assault during which he had repeatedly punched her in a jealous rage, leaving her dripping blood on to their 18-month-old child she had in her arms.

Green, 42, was jailed for two years at Warwick Crown Court after pleading guilty to the most recent assault and breaching a restraining order.

What happened?

Prosecutor Matthew Barnes said that in June 2018 Green, who had “a significant history of convictions”, had been jailed for 20 months for assaulting his then girlfriend, who CoventryLive has chosen not to identify.

That had involved the attack during which he punched her repeatedly to the face, leaving her bleeding on to their young toddler as she held him.

Green was also given a restraining order banning him from having any contact with the victim.

But following his release, she was “unwise enough to let him back into her life”, and he began living with her at her home in Wellesbourne, said Mr Barnes.

You can get your Coventry and Warwickshire news straight to your email inbox – and it’s FREE!

All you need to do is sign up here.

The emails come out twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, with the latest news, court stories, what’s on and sport from across the region.

“She speaks of having regretted that decision, because she felt trapped, and his previous ways of being controlling and jealous and using drugs continued.”

On the day before the assault they had been to the hospital because she was in the early stages of pregnancy and had suffered a problem – and Green was irritated by the answers she gave about the pregnancy.

When they got back to her home he accused her of cheating on him, having previously threatened to ruin her face with a knife so no other man would have her.

Alarmingly, Green slept with a knife by his side, and he woke her at 4.30am, pinning her down and punching her to the face.

“He held her with both hands round her throat and squeezed it, saying he would put her to sleep, and kicked her to the legs and punched her to the face,” said Mr Barnes.

When they took her older child to school later that morning people noticed she was wearing “an unnecessary level of clothing”, including a scarf covering injuries to her neck.

She took the child into the school and immediately reported that she needed help because she was scared of Green and believed he had a knife, and the police were called.

Green, of Fleming Close, Paddington, London, had left by the time officers arrived, but they later found him hiding in the loft at her home, where they also saw a knife on a bedside table.